Ar500 plate

Show pictures of projects you've done.
Dale
Ar500 plate

Post by Dale » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:21 am

Hello everyone. A customer just asked if I could cut out some shooting targets from 1/2” AR500 steel. I’ve never messed with it before and was wondering what settings anyone has used for it. I also had concerns about safety of the targets after being plasma cut. Any experience with this would help...thanks

rstuart
Re: Ar500 plate

Post by rstuart » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:14 am

I have cut AR 500 with my table, a couple things to consider is 1 keeping the metal as cool as possible. So water table is really needed. If you cut without a water table use as low as amp setting as you can obviously and make some test cuts first. The actual cutting is about the same for AR 500 as it is for mild steel. To get the best non-beveled cut I run 65 Amps and a cut speed of 375 l, and a PSI of 75 with a 1.2 tip. I don't know the other tablet settings off the top of my head. With half inch expect some bevel. As far as using Plasma there are lots of mixed reviews so far I have had no issues or complaints from customers. Be ready to have sticker shock on the metal price the 4x12x3/8 was right around 1600.00 after the metal shop I but from cut it into 3 4x4 sections so that I could handle them. If you want to chat some contact me at competitivetargetdesigns@gmail.com.

Dale
Re: Ar500 plate

Post by Dale » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:36 am

Thanks for the information and advice. My local metal supplier can get me a 4x8 1/2” plate for around $985...So I will definitely be making test cuts. I’ve heard of people lightly misting the metal with water between cuts to keep it cooler. I’m still debating if I’m going to try cutting targets or not. The risk factor makes me a bit uneasy.