Open points in Inkscape

Recommended by Go Fab CNC. This is a free program that's very powerful.
rdwesley
Open points in Inkscape

Post by rdwesley » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:16 pm

Is there any quick/easy way to find single points in a file that are just sitting there? What I mean is when I convert a graphic, there seems to sometimes be a single point that acts like a pierce point only. It is not part of a line or anything. I have noticed a lot of times it is a smaller square that may sometimes be on a line. Does anyone know an easy way to identify and correct this?

Dave
Re: Open points in Inkscape

Post by Dave » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:59 pm

When you use the trace bitmap tool, turn on "suppress speckles" in the options tab if it isn't already on.

If that doesn't work, the paint bucket tool should do what you want. After using the trace bitmap tool, zoom in as far as you can while still fitting the part you want cut out on your screen, then use the paint bucket tool on the part you want cut out. It should make a vector that's a flood fill of just the part to be cut out. For intricate stuff, I also use the paint bucket tool to check that the thing I'm about to cut out is in fact all one continuous piece.

rdwesley

Post by rdwesley » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:04 pm

Thanks Dave, That feature was already on. But I still seem to get stray points. It happens in almost all of my files I bring in. What settings are you using for there as for size, and do you smooth corners and optimize paths, and if so, what threshold and tolerance do you use?

Dave

Post by Dave » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:00 pm

Here are my current trace bitmap settings. I adjust brightness cutoff depending on what I'm tracing, but usually keep it around 0.5 for tracing black and white silhouette images.

Sometimes if the image coming in is low resolution or very grainy, there's nothing that can be done but to manually touch it up by using the "edit paths by nodes" tool (just below the selection tool in the top left). Select that tool, then select the shape you want to clean up and it should show a bunch of squares that are the vector control points. You can select and move/delete individual points and push the shape around. You can use the buttons running along the top of the window to add new control points, turn lines into curves, etc.
Attachments
trace bitmap settings.jpg

rdwesley

Post by rdwesley » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:21 pm

Thank you Dave