Help - Turn Downloaded DXF file to G-Code in Inkscape

Recommended by Go Fab CNC. This is a free program that's very powerful.
rdwesley
Help - Turn Downloaded DXF file to G-Code in Inkscape

Post by rdwesley » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:15 am

I have downloaded quite a few free dxf files, but I can't figure out how to turn them into G-Code files. Can anyone help, or point me to a tutorial? Thanks! :? :? :?

Dave
Re: Help - Turn Downloaded DXF file to G-Code in Inkscape

Post by Dave » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:00 pm

Howdy,

Sometimes they work out of the box in Inkscape. Go to File->Import and then choose your DXF file.

If that doesn't work, I use QCAD to convert the DXF to an SVG file and load the SVG in inkscape. The trial version shuts down after 10 minutes or something like that, but that's plenty of time to open the DXF file and do File->Quick SVG Export.

If you get it into inkscape and the path doesn't show up, go to View->Display Mode->Outline

Also, almost every DXF file I've come across has had some broken part of the cut path in it, like a double cut for one line or a single shape split into a bunch of little cuts. I usually draw the DXF path in Inkscape as a 0.1mm outline and use the paintbucket tool to make a clean path of the actual shape to be cut.

The paintbucket tool is really the greatest thing ever for making clean cut paths, but it loses a little detail if you don't zoom in when you use it.

rdwesley
Re: Help - Turn Downloaded DXF file to G-Code in Inkscape

Post by rdwesley » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:19 pm

HI Dave,

Thanks for the info. Any chance you have a recorded demo, or could point me in a direction of one? I am new to this, and visuals seem to help me best. I don't have my table yet, but I am trying to learn how to do stuff prior to its arrival. I don't know if what I am doing is correct or not, and I am not sure how to tell if I have a bunch of small cuts, or what as you suggested. When I try to use the paintbucket tool on some of the dxf files, it just seems to make the outline grow larger. I really appreciate any and all help!