InkScape struggles...

Recommended by Go Fab CNC. This is a free program that's very powerful.
Riverrunner1
InkScape struggles...

Post by Riverrunner1 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:19 am

Hey there,
I have my table up and moving, all ready to get a test cut set up. I am struggling to get fluent in InkScape. I have a lot of time using a variety of different programs similar to this but I have to say this one is causing me a great deal of headaches. The tutorials have been a great help! Thanks to everyone for taking the time to develop and post them. My biggest struggle to this point has come in getting the G Code, when I run through the steps in the tutorial I am not seeing the green box that should be popping up when I click on the gcode tools box in the extensions pull down menu. My thought is that I must have to input or identify the plasma cutter I am using. No idea where or how to do that. I would appreciate any guidance in this arena.

When I ordered some parts for my plasma cutter the vendor told me the learning curve was steep, I didn't realize he meant vertical.

Dave
Re: InkScape struggles...

Post by Dave » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:16 am

The green box doesn’t pop up until you click OK. The tablet software ignores all those settings, anyway, and just uses the gcode to get the shape to be cut out. The cut speed etc is set on the tablet when you tell it what type and thickness of metal you’re cutting.

Riverrunner1

Post by Riverrunner1 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:44 pm

I found the box but I am still not getting a consistent save of the gcode file. I was able to get one file saved by following the GoFab tutorial in an exact step by step. Unfortunately I am unable to duplicate that using the exact process again. Is this a common problem?

Dave

Post by Dave » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:45 pm

Are you starting from a new Inkscape SVG or opening an existing image?

What you want to do is start with a new Inkscape SVG, set that up for plasma cutting, then import images into that SVG by drag-and-dropping them onto the canvas. I have an SVG that's empty other than being set up for plasma cutting and whenever I start a new project I make a copy of that SVG so I don't have to go through the plasma setup process over and over.

Riverrunner1

Post by Riverrunner1 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:13 am

OK, I am getting progress. I did the copy of the clean SVG into InkScape. I am able to generate a file in gcode that saves. When I use my basic CNC viewer I can see the image as it appears in the design software. At one point I was able to get a file save as an NGC file. Now when I save the "gcode" files it is saving in a plain file format that is not readable by the tablet. Obviously I am missing a step somewhere. thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Riverrunner1

Post by Riverrunner1 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:16 am

How can I format a "canvas" to hold my settings? I seem to be spending a significant amount of time setting doc properties each time. I would also like to be able to be able to develop a doc that has the zero points etc. for the PC. I watched a You Tube Video, I think it was yours that had the "page" completely setup and ready to go. I haven't been able to figure out to develop that template.

Dave

Post by Dave » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:22 am

I put a step by step in this thread last night and linked the template I use a little bit ago. We should start a wiki or something.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=604

Riverrunner1

Post by Riverrunner1 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:08 am

Dave,
Thanks for your help. I am getting the hang of this program. Today I was able to make the transfer of the g code file to the tablet and the plasma fired. I didn't get movement from the machine but that's the next step.