dxf's dont open in sheetcam

Another great program for creating designs specifically for CNC machines.
GregSmith
dxf's dont open in sheetcam

Post by GregSmith » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:33 pm

When I load dxf files into sheetcam by selecting "import drawing" they don't show up. I've tried various dxf versions, such as R27, R12, etc, none show up. I do have the free version, I wonder if I need to purchase the license for it to work properly. Any ideas?

It still will load g-code fine. That was my primary use for sheetcam, after converting my inkscape files to g-code, I would open gcode in sheetcam as a check before opening in GoFab tablet. If gcode showed up correctly in sheetcam, 99.9% of the time it works correctly in the tablet. I like using a cad program for brackets. I have qcad and fusion 360, both can save drawings in dxf, but I need sheetcam or some other program to convert into gcode.

GregSmith
Re: dxf's dont open in sheetcam

Post by GregSmith » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:18 pm

Never mind, I figured it out. The devil is in the details right? So when you open "import drawing" into sheetcam, you choose a folder to select a file. In the bottom right of Sheetcam, there's a dropdown box with file types. You must select the type of file you are importing. I assumed sheetcam automatically knew if you select a dxf or g code or svg file. It doesn't. My drop down menu was set on "gcode file", so every time I opened a dxf, it would not appear on the sheetcam workspace. Another duh, moment. Hope this helps someone else.