Everlast 60S - Just Blowing Air and Relaying in/off

GregSmith
Everlast 60S - Just Blowing Air and Relaying in/off

Post by GregSmith » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:33 pm

Anyone know why this is happening? I have a good ground to the material.

https://youtu.be/KIaQc2S-AV0

Sam Lindsey
Re: Everlast 60S - Just Blowing Air and Relaying in/off

Post by Sam Lindsey » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:56 pm

Hey Greg, check the fuse in the front of the plasma cutter. Pull the fuse out fully and make sure the fuse holder itself is okay.

Ryan Lindsey

Post by Ryan Lindsey » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:02 pm

Hey Greg,

Usually, if a Torch blows air and doesn’t fire the 2 culprits are a bad Fuse/Fuse Holder, or the Torch is being squeezed too tight in the Torch Clamp.

To make sure the Torch is not being squeezed to tight, make sure the slit in the PVC piece that wraps around the Torch is pointed to the Left or the Right. If the slit is in the Front or the Back, the PVC won’t grab the Torch evenly.

Like Sam said, for the Fuse, pull it out and make sure it’s in good condition. If it’s not, then the fix requires either replacing the Fuse or the Fuse Holder. Everlast has an issue that effects some Plasma Cutters that results in Fuse Holders malfunctioning. If the issue is the Fuse Holder, it’s a pretty easy fix.

Let us know what you find!

GregSmith

Post by GregSmith » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:14 pm

Thanks Ryan and Sam. I’ll check both tomorrow. 🙏🏻

GregSmith

Post by GregSmith » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:31 pm

Ok, its highly likely its the Fuse Holder. Fuse is good. I took out the fuse and ran a cut, same symptom, clicking on/off and blowing air.

I reinserted fuse and loosened the torch until it was lightly being held ran a cut, same problem.

Do I need to crack open plasma cutter and resolder a new fuse holder? Is there a particular one or get something similar? Thanks.

Ryan Lindsey

Post by Ryan Lindsey » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:28 pm

You can get an In-Line Fuse Holder from Autozone or a Panel Mount Fuse Holder from Amazon (Sam has the link). The Fuse Holder needs to either match the Fuse rating of 30 amps at 250v, or be higher.

The Fuse Holder on the Everlast is 10 amps at 250v. I’m not sure why the Fuse Holder is rated significantly less than the Fuse, but it seems to be the source of all the issues.

The heat generated inside the stock Fuse Holder can cause the Fuse Holder to melt and break continuity. It’s a pretty straightforward process to replace it though and every Everlast Plasma Cutter that’s had the Fuse Holder replaced has been issue free afterwards.

There are 3 wires soldered to the 2 contacts of the Fuse Holder (1 larger wire that’s typically Yellow that solders to 1 contact, and a Pair of thinner Black Wires that solder to the other contact). Cut the wires as close to the solder points as possible to maintain as much wire length as possible. Untwist the nut on the back of the stock Fuse Holder to remove it from the case.

Then, either install the new Panel Mount Fuse Holder the same way, or run wires off of the In-Line Fuse Holder through the hole of the Stock Fuse Holder so you can solder it to the wires inside.
Last edited by Ryan Lindsey on Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sam Lindsey

Post by Sam Lindsey » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:50 pm

Here is a link for a panel mount holder that fits the everlast with the proper amperage rating.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EUF6J ... b_pd_title

GregSmith

Post by GregSmith » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:18 pm

Thanks, great instructions! I’ll post my fix when its done.

Greg

GregSmith

Post by GregSmith » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:09 am

Bummer, same problem😬. I put an inline fuse in, 250V, 30A, simple, just solder the old wires into the new holder. When I fired up a simple test cut, it wouldn’t work. Torch is as loose as can be. Also tried gripping torch at a different height.

Basically got 5 min of cutting before it stopped working. I called Everlast Wednesday and Thursday, nobody called me back yet. Any other ideas?

https://youtu.be/PJGnIV_XguY

Dave

Post by Dave » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:39 am

It's a process of elimination. Did you see my last post on your Fusion 360 thread? So you know it's not air supply or the fuse, so that leaves:

- Power flow to cutter: can you run a welder or 220V air compressor on the plug the cutter is plugged into? I run mine off an (overbuilt) extension cord and get this issue if the cord starts to come unplugged half way.
- Tip saver might be getting in the way for that metal. Try turning that switch off on the front of the Everlast.
- Torch height: there's a setting on the tablet on the metal selection screen for ignite height that controls how far off the torch gets, cut it in half and see if it arcs. If that doesn't work, try doubling it. There should be 1/8" +/- 1/16" gap between the tip of the torch and the metal when it tries to fire.
- Related to torch height, looks like the metal you're cutting is pretty thin. Sometimes the find metal feature doesn't work on thin metal if it's not perfectly flat. The metal will flex down before triggering the switch on the z-axis and then flex back up when the torch backs off, so there's no gap between the torch and the metal.
- Consumables worn out, loose, missing, or backwards. It's possible to put the swirl ring in backwards. Also, if you accidentally put the torch back together without the swirl ring, you can cut the red silicone o-ring at the top. It's a 15mm x 1.5mm o-ring. I replaced mine with the closest I could find locally and have a bag of proper sized ones on the way from China.
- Consumables defective: I had a whole bag of electrodes that just didn't work reliably.
- Grounding issue. Best way to rule that out is to put the ground clamp on the metal being cut. Just like with welding, you can show a good ground with a multimeter but still have enough current flow.